Resource Centers:(News, information, and tools to support your practice)Online Exclusives » Conventions and Events » Laws & Legislation » Massage Associations » Schools/Training » Self-Care » Reader Expressions » Research » Link Partners » Chiroeco.com » futureLMT.com » Donate to Research »
Coffee May Help Small Blood Vessels Work Better, Study Says - 11/21/2013
The caffeine in a cup of coffee might help your small blood vessels work better, according to research presented at the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions 2013.
Yoga Practice Benefits Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients - 11/7/2013
Training in the practice of yoga can help improve the quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), according to a new study.
Exercise Can Help Treat Depression - 10/31/2013
According to a review by doctoral candidate George Mammen and published in the October issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, moderate exercise can actually prevent episodes of depression in the long term.
Mayo Clinic Study Shows Younger Fibromyalgia Patients Report Worse Symptoms - 10/29/2013
According to a new Mayo Clinic study, young and middle-aged fibromyalgia patients reported worse symptoms and poorer quality of life than older patients.
National Institutes of Health Finds More Benefits to Practicing Restorative Yoga - 10/21/2013
Yoga's health benefits may go beyond stress reduction. A study funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) found that for overweight women, restorative yoga may offer a way to trim subcutaneous fat.
Training in Mindfulness Can Reduce Stress and Burnout - 9/6/2013
According to a new study conducted by the Center for Investigating Healthy Minds (CIHM) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Waisman Center, teachers who practice mindfulness are better able to reduce their own levels of stress and prevent burnout.
Volunteering May Improve Mental Health and Help You Live Longer - 8/27/2013
A new study published in the open-access journal BMC Public Health finds volunteering may improve mental health and help you live longer.
Research Shows Aromatherapy May Help Relieve Nausea After Surgery - 8/23/2013
Aromatherapy and intravenous administration of a simple sugar solution may relieve nausea and vomiting after surgery, according to research published in the September issue of Anesthesia & Analgesia.
Coffee, Tea Consumption May Reduce Fatty Liver - 8/20/2013
An international team of researchers led by Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School (Duke-NUS) and the Duke University School of Medicine suggest increased caffeine intake may reduce fatty liver in people with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
Mediterranean Diet Boosts Brain Power in Aging Adults - 6/17/2013
A Mediterranean diet with added extra-virgin olive oil or mixed nuts seems to improve the brain power of older people better than advising them to follow a low-fat diet, indicates research published online in the Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry.
Massage Heights COO to Appear on 'Undercover Boss' - 12/9/2013
Massage Heights's chief operating officer, Shane Evans, has decided to go undercover inside a few of the company's locations on CBS' Undercover Boss, in an episode that airs Dec. 13 at 8 p.m. EST.
International SPA Association Announces New Board Members, Officers - 12/6/2013
The International SPA Association (ISPA) has announced its 2014 board of directors and officers.
Massage Envy Spa Reaches New Franchise Agreement Milestone - 12/4/2013
Massage Envy Spa, a pioneer and national leader of professional, convenient and affordable massage and spa services, has announced the signing of its 1,200th franchise agreement.
BIOTONE Announces First-Ever Black Friday Sale - 11/26/2013
Because this year's shopping season is only four weeks compared to the five weeks shoppers were given last year, BIOTONE has announces its first-ever Black Friday Sale.
National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork Welcomes New Board Members - 11/21/2013
The National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) has announced important transitions for the NCBTMB board of directors with the appointments of Michael McGillicuddy and Bruce Baltz, effective immediately. Elected members Teresa M. Matthews and Dr. Stuart Watts will also join the NCBTMB board of directors beginning Jan. 1, 2014.
Franklin Method Releases Fascia Massage Tool - 11/20/2013
New from the Franklin Method® are Franklin Fascia Massagers, self-care tools that stand out from the self-massage crowd with their unique spikey exteriors.
Holistic Massage Training Institute Announces College Credits Agreement - 11/19/2013
Holistic Massage Training Institute in Baltimore, Maryland, recently entered into an articulation agreement with Anne Arundel Community College in Arnold, Maryland. Graduates of Holistic Massage Training Institute's program may now receive 19 college credits.
BestMassage Now Offers Sustainable Paper Lamps from Thailand - 11/19/2013
BestMassage has added Thai Saa Paper Wood Lamps to its massage products line.
MINDBODY Launches MINDBODY Connect - 11/19/2013
MINDBODY Inc., the leading provider of wellness business management software, has launched MINDBODY Connect, a new mobile app that grants public access to the world's largest and fastest-growing wellness network.
Free Consumer Biofreeze Sample Program Announced by Performance Health - 11/18/2013
Biofreeze®, the number-one clinically used and recommended topical pain reliever, is now available for consumer trial and through the ease of online ordering.
Dolphin II Massage Chair™ (Soft Touch)
This chair offers a unique telescoping design to allow adjustments from vertical to full horizontal, giving access to massage the lower back effectively without overstraining arms, wrists and shoulders as you work.
Dolphin II Massage Chair™ (Soft Touch) costs $585 and up.
380 A Morris St., Suite A, Sebastopol, CA
Sign up to receive a free Liquiderma Variety Pack from PINO Natural Spa Therapy. This variety pack includes massage creme, massage lotion and massage oil, from Germany’s leading brand for quality massage products since 1922. The Liquiderma line of massage products is designed to be gentle on skin while providing care and protection to therapists’ hands.
• .5 ounces of Liquiderma Basic Massage Creme
• .5 ounces of Liquiderma Super Soft Massage Lotion
• .5 ounces of Liquiderma Sensitive Massage Oil
This free sample will be offered from Dec. 1 through Dec. 31, 2013, and is available to U.S. residents only. There is a limit of one sample per person.
PINO Natural Spa Therapy
5701 Buckingham Pkwy., Suite F
Culver City, CA 90230
by Yamuna Zake
Your feet are your foundation. Taking care of your feet and using them mindfully when you work in your massage practice can be the best first step toward preventive care. Here are some helpful tips to tune into as you position yourself while you work.
1. Try to stand on both feet with your weight equal on both when possible.
2. Train yourself to use all parts of your feet to support you upward.
3. Keep your ankles straight and avoid collapsing them inward. This weakens the feet, ankles and knees.
4. Develop strength and function in the lateral side of the feet and toes.
5. Practice this simple walking test to develop mindful focus on using all parts of your feet.
Practice this mindfully for five minutes daily to bring full awareness and function to your feet.
Yamuna Zake is a master bodywork educator and the creator and founder of Yamuna®, a company dedicated to education and promotion of optimal physical function and body sustainability. While her company and studio are located in New York, her work is practiced across the U.S. and throughout the world. For more information, visit www.yamunabodyrolling.com.
BONUS: Click here to take the walking test.
Photo provided by Yamuna®.
Contributed by SalonBooker
Massage therapists and bodyworkers can find business success during the holidays. Here are several ways to market your massage practice and profit during this fruitful time of year.
1. Create an overarching promotional plan that takes into account what promotions you'll be running and when. Map out opportunities you want to take advantage of on a calendar. For example, will you be running a Christmas promotion? Make sure you don't inundate clients with too many promotions, but do make sure to take advantage of all your promotional opportunities. Strike a balance.
2. Customize gift certificates for holidays. Relevant, seasonal designs are more enticing to purchase. Customers will be driven to gifts that reflect the occasion they're purchasing for. Make sure you add your logo to all of your gift certificates and cards to increase brand recognition.
3. Email your customer base to keep them in the loop about your holiday plans, promotions and events. The holidays aren't only about bringing in new clients. You want to get previous clients back in your massage practice or spa, so make sure you keep them in the loop.
4. Create a social media plan. Tackle this by creating a content calendar. Strategize and draft posts in advance to optimize your plan. Do you plan on updating the imagery on your profiles? If so, post those updates now.
5. Think about décor and your environment. Keep your clientele in mind when planning your holiday décor. What sorts of things would make them feel most comfortable and welcome? If you plan to set up a holiday retail display, do so now and make sure it's cohesive with your overall décor.
6. Establish and clearly display your holiday hours. Share this information with your staff and the general public. Post this information in your practice, on your website and across your social media profiles to keep clients in the loop.
7. Upsell with retail displays and sampling. Retail sales consisted of nearly 13 percent of total sales for SpaBooker clients in December 2012. Make sure you're prepared to take advantage of this opportunity with holiday-focused retail displays and sampling. Upselling clients and gift buyers alike can be a great way to boost revenue.
8. Update your website with special holiday info. You'll want to add any news and operational items such your holidays hours, promotions and special events.
9. Identify VIPs and reward them. The holidays are a great time to say thank you to some of your most valuable and loyal clients. Send them an email with an offer for a free gift or percentage off a service to make them feel appreciated.
10. Give back to your community with a charity initiative. 'Tis the season of giving, after all. Find an organization that has some significance to you, and join with them for an event.
These tips were contributed by SalonBooker, salon-management software that unifies the essential components of salon management into a single Web-based platform accessible from any Internet-connected device. For more information, visit www.salonbooker.com.