With the hot summer sun behind us and colder weather ahead, it’s time to re-evaluate your skin care routine. These seven simple tips and tricks will help you avoid dry, flaky winter skin so you can put your best face—and hands—forward.
1. Hydrate inside and out. The key ingredient to healthy looking skin is water. When it’s hot outside our bodies lose moisture rapidly, so we are more likely to drink fluids; but as the weather turns cold we generally drink less. This year, drink lots of fluid all year round, but stay away from drinks that are high in sugar or contain artificial sweeteners. Choose sparkling water with lemon or add fresh fruit to your water bottle to boost flavor.
2. Handle your hands with care. As a massage therapist, you know your hands are your most important tools—so make sure you care for them even more diligently as the seasons change. Use hand lotion more frequently when the weather turns cooler. Or, if you tend to forget to moisturize throughout the day, try this trick: Twice a week at bedtime, apply an intensive moisturizer to your hands, one formulated with rich ingredients such as shea or cocoa butter, or unrefined coconut oil. Then slip on a pair of cleaning gloves and head to bed. This routine leaves hands soft and smooth, and is especially helpful during the coldest months of the year.
3. Change your moisturizer. Moisturizers are not evergreen. Colder weather is more likely to dry out your skin, so put away your lightweight summer moisturizer and opt for something heavier. Choose moisturizers with ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, which holds 1,000 times its weight in water. (Check labels to see if the hyaluronic acid is plant-derived, as some products use hyaluronic acid from less eco-friendly sources.)
4. Invest in eye cream. Apply eye cream not only to your eyes, but also to other areas of your face that tend to be very dry.
5. Exfoliate. Our skin constantly sheds old cells. If we don’t actively remove these dead cells, they can enhance the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Be diligent about exfoliating daily or weekly, depending on your skin type and sensitivity, using an exfoliator appropriate for your skin type.
6. Say yes to SPF. Sunscreen is a must, year-round. Apply facial moisturizer and eye cream, then beauty balm cream or tinted moisturizer containing SPF. The cream or tinted moisturizer acts as a light foundation, and the SPF protects you from the sun’s harmful rays.
7. Don’t forget your lips. Keep them soft and hydrated with alcohol-free lip balm. You can give lips a moisture-rich treat by applying a cocoa or shea butter based balm right after you wash your face or take a shower.
These tips will help you embrace fall and winter with soft, radiant and glowing skin.
Ereka Vetrini (www.beyoutifulmoms.com) is a TV host, brand spokesperson, producer, blogger, mom of two, and host of two Yahoo! shows: Easy Does It and Tour and Explore. An entertainment reporter and senior editor for In Touch Weekly magazine, Vetrini will be field host and producer of Naturally Beautiful, a new daytime talk show on the Veria Network.