November is TMJ Syndrome Awareness Month, a common culprit for headaches and jaw pain. TMJ is a disorder that occurs when the muscles in the jaw and temporomandibular joint are misaligned, resulting in severe discomfort. Common treatments involve medication, or surgery for more severe cases. Boehm recommends looking into natural therapies, though, which can be just as effective without the side effects of more invasive treatments.
Chicago Healer’s Practitioner Dr. Kevin Boehm, D.D.S., specializes in TMJ treatment and offers the following alternative therapies for TMJ:
- ETPS therapy. A therapy combining both the practices of acupuncture and neurology to relieve pain.
- Cranial sacral therapy. A preventive health measure utilizing gentle massages on the neck, skull and spine to release restrictions in the cranial sacral system.
- Symphatic therapy. A manual massage designed to assist in the drainage of the lymphatic system.
Dr. Boehm also advises readers to look out for the following common symptoms of TMJ:
- Spasms or cramps in the jaw area
- Jaw tenderness
- Difficulty chewing
- Clicking, popping, grating sound when opening jaw
For more information on TMJ or Boehm, visit www.chicagohealers.com.
About Chicago Healers
Chicago Healers is the nation’s pioneer prescreened integrative health care network, offering a comprehensive understanding of each practitioner’s services, approach and philosophy. Our holistic health experts teach and advocate natural and empowered health and life choices through their practices, the media, educational events and our website. With close to 200 practitioners and more than 300 treatment services, Chicago Healers has provided nearly 400 free educational events for Chicagoans and has been featured in 300-plus TV news programs and print publications.