It is important to understand this is your own personal practice. Your body is unique and you should improve at your own pace and stay within your limits.
Do not try to outdo the next person. Yoga is about bringing awareness inside the body to increase health and well-being. A regular practice will bring the best results. It is advisable to practice at least three to four hours a week.
Basic guidelines for practicing yoga:
• Try to set a specific time to practice yoga every day
• Do not eat for two hours prior to actively practicing yoga
• Decide where you can practice free from noise and distractions
• Use a yoga mat for your practice
• Do a warm-up before your routine, a cool down after, and a quiet relaxation to calm the mind and body
The most important strategy is to follow a particular traditional sequence when you do yoga, practice regularly, be noncompetitive and enjoy your practice. Consult with your doctor prior to performing yoga, especially if you have any injuries or health conditions.
Reproduced with permission from Yoga for Massage Therapists and Bodyworkers. Karina Braun also wrote the innovative book, Creating Peace with Your Hands, which includes insightful strategies for self-care and injury prevention. For more information, visit www.igetintouch.com.