June 11-14, 2016, 4-Day Workshop, 24 NCBTMB Contact Hours, Special Saturday through Tuesday seminar. All 4 days – 10 a.m.-5 p.m., $595 Full payment is required a week prior to the seminar.
Instructor: Carrie Rowell
Course Description: This hands-on workshop is designed to introduce participants to the massage techniques used for centuries throughout the Hawaiian islands. The traditional incorporation of conscious breathing and proper body mechanics maximizes the effectiveness of the therapist and minimizes the detrimental effects that doing massage for a living can have on the body. By the end of this course a participant will have learned:
• Basic Lomi Lomi massage techniques as well as some history and terminology.
• Movement and breath exercises to increase their effectiveness in any massage.
• Techniques to massage with other parts of their bodies to avoid exhausting the hands.
• Self-care methods to preserve their energy after bodywork.
• Appropriate methods of monitoring clients breathing and communication skills to assist the client in using their breath to release tension.
• Gentle range-of-motion and joint mobilization techniques.
• Enough techniques to perform a full body Lomi Lomi session in whatever length of time is appropriate for therapist and client (generally 1-3 hours).
• Demonstration of techniques and supervised hands-on practice with individual attention from instructor.
• Hand-outs for individual and group study and a recommended reading list, DVDs available to students.
• Open discussion, questions and answers, lecture and daily review of the day’s techniques and preview of next day’s techniques.
• A safe and fun learning environment conducive to maximum retention and future application of knowledge gained.
• Open access to instructor for future questions or concerns. Carrie Rowell is a licensed massage therapist who has been doing intuitive bodywork for over 17 years. Living in Hawaii, she apprenticed Lomi Lomi with several Native Masters. Since 1998 she has traveled all over the world teaching massage, sacred dance and women’s empowerment workshops. When not traveling she lives and works, specializing in Lomi Lomi and Pregnancy Massage in Pahoa, Hawaii. You can see more information at www.hamoea.com.