Delegates to the third annual meeting of the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) elected a new president and other officers, the federation announced Oct. 28. Representatives from 26 state licensing boards and agencies, schools, and national businesses and professional associations attended the Seattle meeting.
The FSMTB created the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination, which was launched in 2007 and is being increasingly adopted by states that regulate massage therapists, in addition to or in place of the National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork.
Those elected included: Kevin Snedden, L.M.T., and chair of the Missouri Board of Therapeutic Massage, as president; Kathy Jensen, L.M.T., and chair of the Iowa Board of Massage Therapy, as vice president; and Susan Beam, L.M.B.T., and chair of the North Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy, as treasurer.
Patty Glenn, L.M.P./L.M.T., and executive director of the Oregon Board of Massage Therapists, concluded a three-year span as president of the FSMTB and did not seek re-election for the position. “I have been honored to serve both the regulatory community and the profession in my role as president of FSMTB,” Glenn said. “It is time for me to step down from the role of president and allow others the opportunity to lead and expand our support to the regulatory community.”
Snedden said, “In a short space of time, the FSMTB has quickly become recognized as a leader in the professional community. I am eager to continue the important work of the federation as we serve the regulatory community with integrity and transparency and participate in the evolution of the profession as a whole.”
Also elected was Scott Miller, L.M.P., and vice chair of the Washington State Board of Massage, to serve on the board of directors, replacing David Quiring, LMT, whose term had expired. Glenn and Kathy Jensen, L.M.T., were both re-elected to the board of directors.
FSMTB Board of Directors:
• President: Kevin Snedden, chair, Missouri Board of Therapeutic Massage
• Vice president: Kathy Jensen, chair, Iowa Board of Examiners for Massage Therapy
• Treasurer: Susan Beam, chair, North Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy
• Director & Immediate Past President: Patty Glenn, executive director, Oregon Board of Massage Therapists
• Director: Christine Kiely, chair, New Hampshire Massage Therapy Advisory Committee
• Director: Scott Miller, vice chair, Washington Board of Massage
• Director: Connie Shanks-Knight, former co-chair, Mississippi State Board of Massage Therapy
• Ex-Officio: Debra Persinger, FSMTB executive director