NEW YORK (November 2008)—Introducing the Aveda™ 2008 Holiday Collection: 9 limited edition gift sets that take guests on a sensory journey of peace and serenity—and support the indigenous community and craftsmanship of Northwestern Nepal.
Featuring Aveda’s all-time favorites, the Holiday 2008 Collection shares the beauty of well-being while celebrating the 500 year-old craft of Nepalese papermaking. Every gift set is embellished with Lokta paper handcrafted by men and women in Malika and Dalika—two rural regions in the Himalayas. Aveda’s partnership with these Nepalese communities to source the Lokta paper helps keep families together and reverse local deforestation.
Aveda began partnering with communities in Nepal in 2002 and continues to strengthen and expand the benefit-sharing relationship. This year, Aveda has increased its paper purchase from Nepal by 82%.* The increase further supports the men and women of Malika and Dalika in their efforts to develop a sustainable, local business—and creates an even greater positive impact for their communities. Aveda’s purchase of Lokta paper for its Holiday 2008 Gift Collection helps employ 1,282 women and men, preserve 90,000 acres of Himalayan forest and send the children of 500 families to school.
“The 2008 Holiday Gift Collection enables the Aveda guest to support the culture, craftsmanship and communities of Nepal,” says Dominique Conseil, president of Aveda. “Each gift box embellished with handcrafted Nepali paper supports the development of a sustainable business and the preservation of native forests.”
THE FRUITS OF A SUSTIANABLE PARTNERSHIP
With every Holiday gift, Aveda connects its guests to the women and families of Nepal, enabling them to contribute to the positive social and environmental impact of the program. Here’s how:
* Aveda Holiday 2008 empowers Nepalese communities to develop a sustainable business. As partners with Aveda, local communities receive fair payment for their handmade Lokta paper—creating a business where all parties benefit. This business provides income to hundreds of families and fosters economic independence.
* It helps keep Nepalese families intact. As a result of their growing business, fathers who had previously been forced to travel to India in search for work have been able to return home.
* It helps reverse local deforestation. Many regions in Nepal have been chronically threatened by deforestation, stripping local people of their most precious economic and environmental resource—and increasing carbon dioxide greenhouse gas emissions due to forest loss. In 2002, Aveda joined a partnership of Non Government Organizations (NGO) and local businesses from Nepal to protect Nepal’s forests. As a result, the forests were the first in Asia and only the fifth in the world to acquire FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certification, guaranteeing responsible management. To date, the project has helped Nepali communities regain, manage and protect 50,000 acres of certified organic FSC-certified forest.
Aveda’s exclusive 2008 Holiday Gift Collection includes: Bring Forth Brilliance, Himalayan Glow, Travel Body and Soul, Ritual of Relief, Grooming Traditions, Glow Head-to-Soul, Enchant With Color, Steeped in Smoothness and Ultimate Sanctuary—and will be available for a limited time beginning November 2008 in salons, spas, stores and online at aveda.com.
Aveda™, The Art and Science of Pure Flower and Plant Essences™, was founded in 1978 with the goal of providing beauty industry professionals with high performance, botanically based products that would be better for service providers and their guests, as well as for the planet. Aveda manufactures professional plant-based hair care, skin care, makeup, Pure-Fume™ and lifestyle products. Headquartered in Blaine, Minnesota, Aveda is available in Aveda stores, on www.aveda.com, and in nearly 7,000 professional hair salons and spas in 24 countries worldwide.
Our mission at Aveda is to care for the world we live in, from the products we make to the ways in which we give back to society. At Aveda, we strive to set an example for environmental leadership and responsibility, not just in the world of beauty but around the world.
GIFTS THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE
AVEDA HOLIDAY 2008 FACT SHEET
1. BRING FORTH BRILLIANCE. Celebrate the holidays with brilliant, plant-infused shine for hair and lips. Great for on-the-go styling.
What’s inside: Travel-size Brilliant Hair Spray (50ml) and Lip Glaze in Sugar Plum in a travel pouch made with 74% recycled cotton collected from U.S. clothing factory scraps and featuring recycled metal snaps.
Suggested retail price: $27.00
2. HIMALAYAN GLOW. Aveda’s signature soy-wax aromatherapy Holiday candle infused with certified organic essential oils of cinnamon, clove and vanilla in a 95% post-consumer recycled (PCR) glass container. Packaged in a reusable gift box made with lokta paper from Nepal.
What’s inside: Himalayan Glow Soy-Wax Candle with an uplifting, organic aroma inspired by the rituals and culture of the Himalayas in Nepal.
Suggested retail price: $32.00
3. TRAVEL BODY AND SOUL. Warm up the holidays with the warm island aromas of amyris, bay, vetiver and lime. Aveda’s Caribbean Therapy collection hydrates and smoothes the skin with a rich, creamy blend of exotic fruit and nut oils of the Caribbean—all in convenient travel sizes.
What’s inside: Caribbean Therapy Body Cleanser, Caribbean Therapy Body Scrub, Caribbean Therapy Bath Bar, Caribbean Therapy Bath Soak, Caribbean Therapy Body Creme packaged in a travel clutch made with 74% recycled cotton collected from U.S. clothing factory scraps and featuring recycled metal snaps.
Suggested retail price: $38.00
4. RITUAL OF RELIEF. Calm your mind, energize your senses and smooth tired hands and feet with a bouquet of plant-derived ingredients. Packaged in a reusable gift box made with lokta paper from Nepal.
What’s inside: Regular and travel sizes of Hand Relief and Foot Relief.
Suggested retail price: $40.00
5. GROOMING TRADITIONS. Give the gift of everyday men’s essentials featuring high-performance formulas for scalp and hair management. Packaged in a reusable gift box made with lokta paper from Nepal.
What’s inside: Aveda Men Pure-formance Shampoo, Aveda Men Pure-formance Grooming Clay and a Wooden Style Brush.
Suggested retail price: $42.00
6. GLOW HEAD-TO-SOUL. Treat winter skin to a calming, polishing, moisturizing embrace of soothing botanicals. Packaged in a reusable gift box made with lokta paper from Nepal.
What’s inside: Replenishing Body Moisturizer, Smoothing Body Polish and a cotton/linen body polisher
Suggested retail price: $44.00
7. ENCHANT WITH COLOR. Power your hair color with Aveda’s three-step system to protect color and prevent fading—and finish the look with Phomollient’s weightless volume. Packaged in a reusable gift box made with lokta paper from Nepal.
What’s inside: Color Conserve Shampoo, Color Conserve Conditioner, Color Conserve Strengthening Treatment and travel size Phomollient Styling Foam.
Suggested retail price: $53.00
8. STEEPED IN SMOOTHNESS. Smooth your way through the season’s festivities. Aveda pairs its Smooth Infusion hair care with Tourmaline Charged Exfoliating Cleanser to smooth hair and skin to touchable perfection. Packaged in a reusable gift box made with lokta paper from Nepal.
What’s inside: Aveda’s new Smooth Infusion Shampoo, Smooth Infusion Conditioner and Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother matched with a travel size Tourmaline Charged Exfoliating Cleanser.
Suggested retail price: $60.00
9. ULTIMATE SANCTUARY. Treat your skin and senses to a blissful at-home spa experience with a complete, sensory-indulging collection of Aveda favorites. Light Aveda’s signature aroma Shampure Candle, soak into serenity, replenish your skin to radiance, and wrap yourself in a luxurious organic cotton, kimono style robe. Packaged in a reusable gift box made with lokta paper from Nepal.
What’s inside: Shampure Soy-Wax Candle, Soothing Aqua Therapy, Beautifying Composition, Intensive Hydrating Masque, Nourish-Mint Renewing Lip Treatment and a 100% organic cotton kimono style robe.
Suggested retail price: $129.00
CUSTOM GIFTS. Aveda has expanded its selection of travel-size products exclusively for the holiday season. Guests can choose any three travel-size Aveda products, and receive a complimentary red gift bag made entirely of lokta paper from Nepal. Prices vary.
* Increase in U.S. Dollars paid for Lokta paper