In the Heart of the Bowery, Showroom Will Seek to Define the Green Category With New Flagship Retail and Sixth Location for Green Depot
NEW YORK, Nov 11, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Addressing a growing need for affordable, accessible, “green” products, Green Depot ( www.greendepot.com) — the Brooklyn-based supplier of eco-friendly building and living solutions — today announced it will open a distinct retail space on the Bowery in Manhattan. The store will expand Green Depot’s existing inventory to include practical “green” DIY, lifestyle and design solutions presented with a system of icons that breaks down green into five simple categories, allowing customers to choose products that address the aspects of green living that are most important to themselves, their budgets and their families.
With the goal of demystifying green for consumers, the icon navigation system puts a front end on Green Depot’s proprietary in-house product “filter” methodology that ensures even-handed, accurate evaluation of each product carried — developed internally with the support of experts affiliated with the Lowell Institute. This filter sets Green Depot apart from other green building suppliers and retailers in credibility, squarely addressing the issues of “greenwashing” that serve to confuse and mislead consumers.
Opening in early 2009, the Green Depot store will include:
- Hundreds of premium products, including high quality, appealing private label lines developed via local manufacturing partnerships, in categories such as cleaning, baby, and zero-VOC paint.
- Exclusive artist series featuring limited editions of inspired sustainable design solutions developed by talented home designers.
- A resource and design center where Green Depot staff work with customers to find green building materials that are cost-efficient and easily adaptable into their construction or renovation projects.
- The first and only zero-VOC (volatile organic compounds) paint bar in New York City.
- A baby section that empowers new mothers with the basic tools and knowledge to design and build a healthy environment for their child.
- A “Found” section, where the most innovative new green products will be displayed for purchase, along with select vintage and salvaged items.
The Green Depot store will be located in the historic 1885 Young Men’s Institute at 222 Bowery between Prince and Spring — the home of the first YMCA in New York City, the studios of renowned artists Mark Rothko and Fernand Leger, and author William Burroughs. Green Depot has enlisted the architecture and design services of Mapos LLC to re-fashion the space and anticipates LEED platinum certification.
The building will be a defining model for green business and will include:
- More than 3,000 square feet of retail space in the ground floor of a landmarked Bowery building.
- Pre-existing floor joists that have been milled and fabricated into new fixtures and furniture.
- Exposed surfaces from the original historic building, such as glazed ceramic tile on the walls, oak “gymnasium” flooring and iron structural elements at the storefront.
The store experience will merge interactivity with the accessibility and hands-on service of an old-fashioned “local hardware store.”
“Our new Bowery flagship store will be a touchstone for connecting consumers with healthy, affordable, energy-efficient products and services,” explained Sarah Beatty, Green Depot founder and president. “Our goal is to make the Green Depot store experience engaging, informative and fun, and empower everyday consumers who are trying to make the smartest choices for themselves and their families.”
ABOUT GREEN DEPOT
Founded in November 2005, Green Depot is a leading supplier of environmentally friendly and sustainable building products, services and solutions. Its primary goal is to facilitate green living and building in communities so that it is accessible, affordable and gratifying. Green Depot has showrooms in Brooklyn, Newark, Philadelphia, Boston, Greenport and Manhattan (opening early 2009), as well as 10 additional distribution centers spanning the Northeast. Green Depot’s new ecommerce website will relaunch in connection with the Bowery store grand opening, providing national access to the retail information and offerings at the Bowery store. For more information, please visit www.greendepot.com.