Massage therapy has seen tremendous growth in the past decade, with more people seeking out massage therapists and holistic healers to support their well-being.
However, there is still a lack of understanding about the therapeutic benefits and deeper impacts that massage therapy has on massage clients of all ages.
To bring awareness to the many benefits of massage therapy, Global Massage Makes Me Happy Day will take place on March 20.
Part of the Global Wellness Institute’s Massage Makes Me Happy Initiative, Global Massage Makes Me Happy Day will spread global awareness of the positive impacts of massage therapy through educating and sharing benefits, collecting data and research, and creating systems and structure to help everyone better understand what massage therapy can do for them.
Massage is Important
The truth is, massage can be beneficial to help manage pain and stress, which results in being able to live happier lives.
And we have the research to prove it.
Renowned researcher Tiffany Field, PhD, has been conducting studies at the Touch Research Institute at the University of Miami Medical School for the past two decades.
“We have conducted some 122 massage therapy studies that have focused on pregnancy, depression, anxiety, pain syndromes, auto-immune and immune conditions,” Field says.
“In these studies we have assessed massage therapy effects on mood either with a sad-to-happy-faces scale with children or the Profile of Mood States Scale with adults,” she adds. “Invariably the research participants were happier after being massaged. The massages not only made them feel happy but also made them healthier …”
Celebrate the Healing Power of Massage
The Massage Makes Me Happy Initiative, in partnership with the Global Wellness Institute, aims to celebrate the healing powers of massage therapy and promote its benefits through research and education, advocacy and global awareness. We look forward to the day massage therapy will be fully understood and honored as the powerful healing modality it is.
Whether you’re a massage receiver, own a spa, run your own business or are a massage therapist yourself, here are ways to celebrate.
For Massage Clients:
- Schedule a massage;
- Give a massage;
- Purchase a massage gift card for someone special;
- Have a foot massage party with family and friends;
- Tell someone how massage has made you feel happy;
- Spend the day at a local spa;
- Read a book about massage;
- Share your special massage story on Global Massage Makes Me Happy Day Facebook page;
- Offer a donation to massage research; and
- Thank your favorite massage therapist with a card, gift or email and let them know how much you appreciate their work.
For Massage Therapists:
- Reach more massage clients by offering a discount or upgrade on massage sessions;
- Create a client brochure showing how massage creates happiness;
- Get together with fellow massage therapists and share success stories;
- Host an open house informational session for new clients;
- Read a massage research paper and share the findings with friends and massage clients;
- Offer massage as a charitable act for seniors, at a homeless shelter or for another underserved type of clientele;
- Share information about Global Massage Makes Me Happy day on your social media channels;
- Work with your local city or chamber of commerce to host an informational event for the public (potential massage clients);
- Host a parent-child massage event and teach them some massage techniques;
- Post a video of how massage made a client happy, on social media;
- Take a CEU class and learn something new;
- Schedule a series of massage sessions for yourself;
- Distribute a press release to local publications; and
- Spread the word about Global Massage Makes Me Happy Day and the initiative to family, friends and colleagues.
For Massage Schools:
- Host a complimentary CEU class for graduates;
- Host an open house for prospective students and focus on massage and happiness;
- Conduct a free one day student clinic for licensed massage therapists;
- Bring in a special speaker to talk about massage and happiness;
- Have a class for students on current massage research;
- Have a booth at a local sports or art event and offer massage to attendees; and
- Create a celebration event for students.
- Hire massage therapists to facilitate seated massage for employees;
- Give all employees a massage gift card;
- Bring in a massage therapist to talk about the benefits of massage; and
- Have a spa day contest or raffle for employees.
For Associations and Organizations:
- Spread the word about Global Massage Makes Me Happy Day via social media channels;
- Connect with local and national media to talk about massage and happiness;
- Create brochures and information handouts for massage therapists to give to clients; and
- Write a blog or article for massage publications sharing how massage makes us happy.
For Massage Educators:
- Offer a CEU discount to local massage therapists;
- Create a class on massage therapy research and happiness results;
- Host a live online open forum to connect with massage therapists and their stories; and
- Connect with your local community and do a massage and happiness presentation.
For Spas, Wellness Centers and Clinics:
- Host a Massage Makes Me Happy event with discounts, upgrades, raffles and snacks to gain more massage clients;
- Distribute Massage Makes Me Happy information brochures to clients;
- Works with local associations to create or promote an event;
- Honor your massage therapists with special product gifts or massage gift cards;
- Offer all clients a complimentary shoulder or neck massage;
- Do something special for your massage therapy staff; and
- Offer employees a complimentary massage.
We hope you’ll join us in the celebration of massage therapy healing. To learn more about Global Massage Makes Me Happy Day, visit the initiative’s page on the Global Wellness Institute’s site.
About the Author
Lynda Solien-Wolfe, LMT, is vice president of Massage & Spa, Performance Health. CG Funk is global director of Funk Consulting. Together they are the co-founders of Massage Makes Me Happy Initiative. Lynda and CG each possess over 25 years of experience in the massage and spa industries, and both deeply believe in the healing power of massage therapy and the importance of the work that massage therapists contribute to the world.
If you enjoyed reading this MASSAGE Magazine online article, subscribe to the monthly print magazine for more articles about massage news, techniques, self-care, research, business and more, delivered monthly. Subscribe to our e-newsletter for additional unique content, including product announcements and special offers.