Massage industry staple now includes critical information for massage therapy licensing exams
Clifton Park, NY, May 18, 2010 – Milady, part of Cengage Learning and a leading provider of beauty and wellness learning solutions, has announced the publication of Theory and Practice of Therapeutic Massage, 5th Edition by Mark F. Beck.
Theory and Practice of Therapeutic Massage, 5th Edition covers the essential knowledge and skills needed to become a successful, professional massage therapist. It provides readers with a solid understanding of the body and its functions, including information on anatomy and physiology, requirements for practicing as a massage therapist and a comprehensive discussion of professional ethics. The book explains massage movements, techniques and procedures in easy-to-understand language supported by clear visuals. Other topics covered in the book include anatomy and physiology, hygiene, communication skills and body mechanics. Coverage of classical massage techniques has been combined with clinical techniques, including neuromuscular and myofascial techniques and lymph massage, so massage therapists can provide the best service for their clients.
“Theory and Practice of Therapeutic Massage has long been widely used for the study of massage therapy,” said Dawn Gerrain, president, Milady. “With the new enhancements included in this edition, aspiring massage therapists will be well-prepared to pass their certification exam and treat their future clients with the necessary knowledge and professionalism.”
New features in the revised edition include:
- Robust instructor tools–a manual, instructor support slides and a course management guide CD-ROM–that will help instructors spend more time teaching and less time prepping
- A chapter on massage therapy for special populations including hospice, prenatal, infant, elderly, and critically ill patients, as well as people with cancer
- Information on lymph massage and clinical skills, such as trigger point therapy, neuromuscular techniques and myofascial techniques
- Full-color illustrations and photographs of techniques and procedures
- Comprehensive coverage of Swedish massage techniques and centralization of clinical massage techniques in the text
- Coverage of all pertinent topics in the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCETM or NCETMB) exams and the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) exam
For more information, visit www.milady.cengage.com. The book costs $92.95.
About the author
Mark F. Beck has been a massage therapist since 1975 and a massage educator for more than 20 years. He has served as a school director and was active in the National Massage School Association (AMTA Council of Schools). He has held several offices in state and national professional associations. Beck was the owner/director/instructor of Magic Valley Massotherapy Institute from 1980 to 1990 and is currently the owner/director of Cooperative Training Systems (1996 – present). He is recognized as one of the original “thought leaders” in massage education and is the creator/author of Structural Muscular Balancing.
Milady, part of Cengage Learning, is the leading provider of beauty and wellness education and has been an industry staple for the past 80 years. Known not only as a provider of pre-licensure resources, Milady offers training and consulting nationwide in various forms for salon and spa professionals, changing the lives of tens of thousands each year.
About Cengage Learning
Cengage Learning is a leading provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions for the academic, professional and library markets worldwide. The company’s products and services are designed to foster academic excellence and professional development, increase student engagement and improve learning outcomes. Cengage Learning’s brands include Heinle, Gale, Wadsworth, Delmar, Brooks/Cole and South-Western, among others. For more information on Cengage Learning, visit www.cengage.com.