The brilliant colors of fall are in bloom, and with fall comes a variety of nourishing hearty fruits and vegetables including pumpkin. This is the best time of year to find fresh pumpkin, so take advantage of it. Fresh fruits and vegetables will always provide you with the most nutrients and natural enzymes the body can use more readily. Pumpkin and its seeds provide many important nutrients, on top of loads of fun for family and friends.
ChicagoHealers.com practitioner Helen Lee, D.C., offers the following nutritional benefits of pumpkin and its seeds.
- Vitamins: Pumpkin and its seeds contain such nutrients as vitamin C, E, iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, both beta and alpha carotenoids (antioxidants that help prevent cell damage) and lutein (which supports healthy eyes).
- Organ health. The nutrients in pumpkin and its seeds help support the health of your kidney, bladder and prostate.
- Sickness prevention. Helps with minimizing osteoporosis, increases digestive health by helping with parasites and tapeworms, and lowering cholesterol.
- Protein. Pumpkin seeds are high in protein.
- General benefits. Pumpkin seeds help the body get rid of parasites and other unwelcomed digestive inhabitants, and they contain healthy essential fatty acid oils.
- Important fact. Organic, raw pumpkin seeds will provide you with the most nutrients and enzymes.
Easy ways to incorporate pumpkin into your diet include:
- A handful of raw pumpkin seeds as a snack or mixed with trail mix, on top of cereal.
- Pumpkin seed butter spread on toast.
- Pumpkin pie/desserts/pancakes/waffles.
- Pumpkin baked or browned with spices in risotto, chili, rice, spaghetti.
Chicago Healers is a prescreened integrative health-care network, offering a comprehensive understanding of each practitioner’s services, approach and philosophy. Its holistic-health experts teach and advocate natural and empowered health and life choices through their practices, the media, educational events and its website. With close to 200 practitioners and more than 300 treatment services, Chicago Healers has provided nearly 400 free educational events for Chicagoans and has been featured in more than 300 TV news programs and print publications. For more information, visit www.chicagohealers.com.