Akron, Ohio – September 23, 2009 – Seventeen research projects, with findings ranging from the effectiveness of pain relief methods to a novel exercise treatment for tennis elbow to the measurable impact of exercise, were presented at the 11th annual Thera-Band Research Advisory Committee (TRAC) meeting that was held July 25-27, 2009 in Cancun, Mexico. Thirteen international researchers and clinicians met to present and discuss research on Thera-Band and Biofreeze products. The diverse group represented four different countries and included occupational and physical therapists, chiropractors, physicians and university professors.
“Our TRAC research helps support evidence-based practice, which improves clinical decision making with our products,” said Phil Page, PT, ATC, Director of Education and Research for Performance Health / Hygenic Corporation. “This year’s research topics ranged from EMG to clinical outcomes, and many of the projects have received media coverage due to their potential impact on patient satisfaction, clinical outcomes and lower healthcare costs.”
The most significant conclusions from research presented at the TRAC meeting included:
- Biofreeze Pain Reliever is more effective than ice for reducing neck pain.
- A new exercise using the Thera-Band FlexBar is effective for relieving tennis elbow pain.
- A strengthening program using Thera-Band exercise bands improves blood pressure and lipid levels.
- Electromyography (EMG) studies validate several exercises with Thera-Band resistance products.
- Biofreeze Pain Reliever reduces blood flow faster and increases muscle performance more than ice application.
- The First Step to Active Health exercise program for older adults is effective for both group and home-based programs.
The abstracts for all 17 studies can be viewed and downloaded at
“In the past 11 years of TRAC, we’ve built tremendous synergy from professionals with different backgrounds and nationalities that adds to our body of knowledge. We currently have 27 ongoing research studies in nine countries and 13 new studies in six counties,” added Page.
Performance Health / Hygenic Corporation is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of a broad portfolio of products for the therapy, rehabilitation, massage and wellness markets. Maker of market-leading Biofreeze® and Thera-Band® products, Performance Health / Hygenic Corporation provides evidence-based protocols, education, turn-key dispensing and pain management solutions.
www.biofreeze.com / www.thera-band.com / www.thera-bandacademy.com