Changing bad habits into healthy new ones is easier when you break them down into small steps. Here’s a list of 25 heart-smart alternatives to get you started.
1. Walk to work.
2. Use fat-free milk instead of whole milk.
3. Walk during your lunch break or between clients.
4. Drink water before a meal.
5. Take a family walk after dinner.
6. Avoid food portions larger than your fist.
7. Get a dog and walk it.
8. Eat off of smaller plates.
9. Park farther away from your destination, and walk the rest of the way.
10. Don’t eat late at night.
11. Skip seconds.
12. Bicycle or walk instead of driving whenever possible.
13. Go for a half-hour walk instead of watching TV.
14. Don’t skip meals.
15. Dance around the house.
16. Keep walking shoes in your car or office.
17. Form a Saturday morning walking group.
18. Choose fruit for dessert.
19. Take the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator.
20. Eat before grocery shopping.
21. Share an entrée with your dining partner.
22. Carry your groceries instead of pushing a cart.
23. Try a salad instead of fries with your meal.
24. At every meal: sit down undistracted, chew slowly, taste each flavor.
25. Cut high-calorie foods like chocolate or cheese into small pieces.
— Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources