Think of yourself as an athlete. Manual therapy demands skill, strength and endurance, just like a track-and-field runner or baseball player.
The symptoms of overtraining include fatigue, lack of energy, pain, insomnia and depression. Rest is essential for the treatment of overtraining. You can take your resting heart rate in the morning, and if it is higher than the day before, you may not have recovered from the previous day.
To prevent physical burnout, follow these tips:
- Stretch and warm up before you start your day of massage
- Stretch your arms and hands between each client
- Alternate your working tools
- Fuel your body with proper nutrition
- Utilize cryotherapy after your day of massage
- Receive massage weekly or bimonthly
- Clear your body’s energy daily
Karina Braun wrote the innovative book, Creating Peace with Your Hands, which includes insightful strategies for self-care and injury prevention. For more information, visit www.igetintouch.com.