DALLAS, TX 3/24/2009 10:48 PM GMT (TransWorldNews) When it comes to overhauling your life, don’t go for gigantic leaps. We live very busy lives – it is easy to forget to take care of ourselves.
“Small steps are a great way to get started,” said Lance O’Pry, Dallas/Fort Worth regional developer for Massage Envy, the leading provider of massage therapy in the U.S. “A simple ‘to do for you list’ includes easy steps for a healthier, less stressed and more organized you. You may even want to call it a ME list.”
1. Plan ahead. When shopping for birthdays, holidays or other special events, set aside specific shopping days or buy gifts online-the convenience may be worth the shipping costs.
2. Trim TV viewing. Studies show that people battling sleep deprivation blame it on TV or Internet use. Other studies correlate TV watching with weight gain. Try watching only your favorite shows while exercising, writing your grocery list or folding laundry.
3. Eat for energy. The sugar in so-called “energy foods” gives you a short-lived burst of energy followed by a crash. Small snacks that mix carbs, protein and fiber are best. Try low-fat yogurt topped with berries and Grape Nuts. And don’t skip breakfast. Ever.
4. Make some “ME” time. Think of it as “donating your time to you.” Massage therapy is a great way to spend your ME-time. Regular massage not only feels great but can help keep stress at bay.
5. Make time for others. Studies show that volunteerism and giving to others influence how well you feel and how well your body fights illness. Volunteerism can also build confidence and make you feel good about yourself.
6. Set priorities. If you don’t set your priorities, your boss, your clients or your stack of mail will. Saying “yes” only to activities that match your priorities will help you avoid feeling stretched too thin.
7. Get some sleep. Job, family, volunteering, laundry — if you sacrifice sleep to sneak in a few more tasks, it could backfire. Sleep deprivation affects judgment, memory, mood and health. Aim for seven to nine hours of zzzzs every night.
8. Move it. Even three 10-minute chunks of exercise every day has positive health benefits. Get creative about how to squeeze exercise in. You’ll sleep better and feel less stressed, and your risk for disease will drop.
9. Tap your support system. We all need a little help from our friends. When you feel overwhelmed, your support structure can help alleviate some pressure. A short visit or conversation with family or friends can work wonders.
10. Be realistic. Don’t try to live up to an ideal. When everything doesn’t go according to plan, shorten and simplify schedules and activities, especially when you’re tired or stressed. You’ll enjoy yourself and those around you more.
Introductory 1-hour massage session (consists of 50 minute massage and time for consultation and dressing) is just $39. Memberships are available for $49 per month and include one 1-hour massage session. Members may also enjoy unlimited additional 1-hour massage sessions at the $39 member rate. For more information, log on to www.massageenvy.com to find the nearest Massage Envy clinic. There are 25 locations in Dallas/Ft. Worth.
Massage Envy Limited, LLC is a national franchise of massage therapy clinics dedicated to providing professional and affordable therapeutic massage services to consumers with busy lifestyles at convenient times and locations. Founded in 2002, Massage Envy has opened 500 clinics in 38 states in just over five years, with 300 more franchises currently under development from coast to coast and 25 locations in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. For more information about Massage Envy, visit the website at www.massageenvy.com. *Not all types of massage available at all clinics.