by Anthony DiTomaso
Warrior III, or “fierce warrior,” is known by its Sanskrit name of “Virabhadrasana III.” This strengthening pose aims to awaken energy within the body. It is ideal for strengthening the legs, back and shoulders, as well as increasing balance and core strength.
Moving into the pose
1. Starting from a standing position with your feet together, inhale as you bring your hands together at the center of your chest.
2. On your next inhale, raise your right knee until your thigh is parallel with the floor.
3. Center yourself on your left foot, and as you exhale, bend forward at the waist until your upper body is parallel with the ground.
4. Straighten your right leg out behind you, making sure to keep your hips on an even plane.
5. Straighten your arms out in front of you with your palms remaining together.
6. Remain in this posture for five to seven breaths.
Scan your body from head to toe
Your left foot should be securely flat on the ground. Maintain your balance by stretching your fingers forward and your heel stretched backward with your toes pointed toward the floor. Hips are on an even plane and your glutes are firm. Shoulders should be away from your ears. Focus on relaxing any tense areas; the goal being to keep your muscles firm but not strained. Move out of the posture by bringing your hands back to your chest and then straightening your back to a standing position. Lower your right foot to the ground. Repeat on the left side.
Tip: If you are new to yoga, be sure to take it slow and not overexert yourself. Practice transitioning in and out of the postures with fluidity and control. All of your movements should be at the pace of your breath.
Anthony DiTomaso is an NCBTMB-certified massage therapist, Yoga Alliance-certified instructor, anatomy and physiology instructor, as well as professional fitness model. He is also an experienced instructor in personal training, nutrition education, energetic healing and Five Element and traditional Chinese medicine theory. DiTomaso has taught introductory massage courses and continuing education seminars for massage therapists and yogis throughout the U.S. He is the owner of Empowerment Unlimited Body Works Inc. and offers the DVD Yoga For Massage Therapists (www.yogaformassagetherapists.com).