Tracy Walton, L.M.T., M.S., will lead a four day course at Lauterstein-Conway Massage School from June 2 through 5
Austin, TX (PRWEB) May 06, 2011 — Tracy Walton, L.M.T., is recognized by the Society for Oncology Massage, and, as such, this four-day course meets the oncology massage training required for membership and listing in its nationwide oncology massage therapist locator service.
The course, entitled “Oncology Massage Therapy: Caring for Clients with Cancer,” will highlight:
- Physical and psychological benefits of massage therapy for people with cancer, and identify which are supported by research.
- Basic steps of cancer metastasis, and help to dispel concerns that massage and increased circulation could spread cancer.
- Common massage therapy adjustments for cancer.
- Massage therapy to typical cancer presentations, including accessible primary tumor sites, bone involvement and vital organ involvement.
- Massage therapy to common cancer treatments, including chemotherapy, surgery and radiation therapy.
Cost is $650 after May 5.
Walton is a researcher, writer, award-winning educator and specialist in massage and cancer care. She is a dynamic voice for the power of touch, and is the author of a textbook, Medical Conditions and Massage Therapy: a Decision Tree Approach (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins). As a researcher, Walton has worked on NIH (National Cancer Institute)-funded clinical trials involving professional massage and massage by caregivers. She appeared in the film, Touch, Caring, and Cancer, massage instruction for caregivers and partners.
The Lauterstein-Conway Massage School is approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) as a continuing education-approved provider. The school is the only massage school in Austin, Texas, approved as an NCBTMB continuing education approved provider.